Saturday, July 16, 2011

We Seek After These Things




I spent the weekend as a chaperon for a church youth conference. I was not originally planning on being one of the chaperons, but a lack of volunteers made me change my plans. I was a little bitter that nobody else stepped up for these young people and as we sat down that night for our chaperon meeting, the director commented that he knew we had all had busy lives and had made sacrifices to be there, but that this was the best place we could be for these young people. I let that thought destroy any notion of bitterness that I had and allowed it set the stage for a wonderful weekend. The theme is based on our faith's 13 article of faith:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

As I listened to the workshops the youth attended and the counsel they received to help them seek after these things, I was strengthened in my own resolve to seek after these things. I enjoyed this trip so very much and cherish every opportunity I have to encourage and strengthen the youth. I thought about how all the thoughts that were shared during that conference help encourage hardiness in these young people. One talk focused on adversity and how every trial in our lives prepares us for something and strengthens us. Another focused on surrounding yourself with people who will not allow you to be mediocre. A third focused on knowing who you are. The keynote address talked about actively choosing to seek after the good things listed in the 13th article of faith. Leaving that conference I felt confident that each of those young people had been better prepared to face the world, I know that I deeply edified!

No comments:

Post a Comment