Saturday, July 16, 2011

Lack of Hardiness

I have had an member of my team who has had severe struggles over the last 6 months and it has been a serious challenge as the rest of our team has attempted to help him deal with his problems and progress professionally. Some days it felt as though we were making progress, but in the end I felt as though we had not provided him with all the help he needed. I had a realization as we were helped him load his moving truck that he lacked Hardiness in every category. He constantly viewed everything he faced in life from a position of it was out of his control. He avoided any form of a challenge and most preferred being told exactly what to do and how to do it. In the end, even his commitment falter and this was the one attribute that had been high when I first met him. His lack of hardiness made the stress of the move more than he could handle and another team member and myself (his two supervisors) had to load his entire house into a truck by ourselves. As I worked, I found myself wondering if it were just impossible for some people to develop hardy attitudes. We had spent countless hours working with him and trying to help him develop personally, but I truly feel as though we failed and am left wondering what I could do differently if ever placed in a similar situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment