Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dirty Face



I arrived in Seattle late on Friday night and took off on an epic journey. I accompanied my brother and his friend out past Wenatchee to help his friend load his moving truck. We woke up early and loaded the truck up and then ventured off to one of my favorite spots from my own childhood. I used to go to summer camp at Lake Wenatchee every year and I love passing through Leavenworth and then spending time at the lake. We stopped in Leavenworth and stocked up on some supplies and then headed off to the lake. My good friend Pat was going to meet us there but he was stuck in traffic, so we decided to see if we could some how find a camping spot to be able to stay the night since we would be starting our hike so late. We lucked out and got the last spot at Glacierview campground and it happened to be an amazing site right on the lake looking up at Dirty Face, our intended hike. I have hiked it several times in the past but Kyle and Pat had never attempted it. It is a 9 mile hike round trip that gains 4000ft of elevation on the way up, so it averages almost a 1000ft a mile on the way up. I love it, but they complained a lot, until we got to the top and they saw the majestic views. It was swarming with bugs, but the vantage point is so captivating we did not care. We completed the hike at a brisk pace of 4 1/2 hours which was far better than our goal and the listed average time. As we sat in the frigid lake afterward, Pat expressed great satisfaction in our accomplishment and set a goal to bring others there to experience this great place. We then enjoyed a great night around the campfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment